Top 10 Causes of Gum Disease
There are many causes of tooth and gum disease, but unchecked gum disease not managed by a professional from LoPour & Associates DDS Family and Cosmetic Dentistry puts you in danger of losing the only teeth you have as well as risking further dental and health problems.
Taking care of the teeth you have is of vital importance. Avoid or treat these top 10 causes of gum disease:
- 1. Smoking or Chewing Tobacco
- Patients who smoke or chew tobacco are 7 times more likely to develop periodontal disease and other tooth and gum diseases.
- 2. Clenching and Grinding Your Teeth
- The stress to teeth and gum tissue from clenching or grinding can cause them to weaken and become more susceptible to disease.
- 3. Stress
- Stress causes problems with your immune system, and it weakens your body’s ability to fight off diseases such as periodontal disease.
- 4. Changes in Hormones
- Hormone changes can make patients more susceptible to infected and/or inflamed gums.
- 5. Ill-Fitting Dentures or Bridges
- Ill-fitting dental devices can irritate your gums, which can lead to infection.
- 6. Diabetes
- The effect of diabetes on the body’s ability to use blood sugar puts patients at a higher risk for infections, including tooth and gum disease.
- 7. Auto-Immune Diseases
- Auto-immune diseases also lower the body’s ability to fight infections such as periodontal disease.
- 8. Family History of Gum Disease
- Patients who have a family history of gum disease are more likely to experience it. Early detection and intervention at LoPour & Associates DDS Family and Cosmetic Dentistry is key.
- 9. Unhealthy Diet or Poor Nutrition
- Too much starch and sugar can create ideal conditions for gum disease to flourish. It can also compromise your immune system.
- 10. Poor Oral Hygiene
- Poor oral hygiene is one of the leading causes of gum disease because it creates ideal conditions for gum disease to develop.
Restoring diseased teeth and gums through gum disease treatment can be expensive, and once you lose your permanent teeth, they are gone for good. The best way to prevent extra expense, time and energy is to invest in effective preventative dentistry. At LoPour & Associates DDS Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, we want to guide you to better oral hygiene practices because you need and deserve the very best in dental care.
At LoPour & Associates DDS Family and Cosmetic Dentistry of Albuquerque, we are dedicated to helping you achieve the optimum level of oral health for a beautiful smile that will last a lifetime. Contact us today to make an appointment!